Oceanlife Water Salinity Converter
This software allows you to convert basic marine water data between different units of measurement. The data is calculated at the surface.
- The direct calculation from Salinity (‰ - ppt) to Density (g/l or kg/m3) / Specific Gravity is based on the equation adopted by UNESCO - The One Atmosphere International Equation of the State of Seawater (Millero and Poisson, 1981).
- The inverse calculation, from Specific Density / Gravity to Salinity, is performed by the solution for iterative methods of the reverse equation of Millero and Poisson.
- The calculation from Conductivity to Salinity / Density / Gravity Specification is performed according to the complex polynomial equation adopted by UNESCO/ICES/SCOR/IAPSO. In this case, the values are reliable for the resulting salinity between 2 and 42 and a temperature between -2 °C and 35 °C.
- The Conductivity calculation is performed through the solution for iterative methods of the reverse equation adopted by UNESCO/ICES/SCOR/IAPSO.
- Salinity values are expressed in "Practical Salinity" (?)
(usually it is equal to the temperature of the sea water)
PSU (g/kg - ppt - ‰)
g/l (value read on the densimeter) (?)
(value read on the refractometer) (?)
mS/cm (value read on the conductivity meter)
Use of this conversion utility is free but if you want support our work, make a donation and help us continue our research work:
- Unesco – IES-80 - Algorithms for computation of fundamental properties of seawater – 1983
- Equation of state of Seawater
- Density and the Equation of State
- Seawater Density (salinity and temperature effects)
- Density of Seawater
- A global algorithm for estimating Absolute Salinity
- Practical Salinity Scale